Thursday, July 29, 2010

Gluten-free bread pudding

Specifically Irish bread pudding. It was the simplest recipe I could find.

8 slices of bread
8 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon lemon zest
4 cups milk
1 tablespoon butter

1. Preheat oven to 370 degrees.

2. Break the bread into bite size portions. Place them into a 9x9x2 inch pan

3. Beat the eggs and sugar together. Add zest and milk and pour over the bread.

4. Dot with the butter and bake until mix is set, about 30 minutes.

5. Add toppings to taste.

I used about half a cup of honey instead of sugar and goat's milk instead of regular milk. The goat's milk might explain the slight bitterness I'm tasting. Also, it doesn't quite look like the bread pudding I had in Ireland. That might have something to do with gluten-free bread being so much denser than regular bread. Not as much of the egg and milk mix can be absorbed into the bread. Still, with a little lemon juice it tastes quite good. I may use actual sugar next time, though. The honey didn't mix with the other ingredients quite as thoroughly as I'd like to hope. May also explain the odd taste when I tried it plain.

Now if I could just do something about the pale yellow color.

No comments:

Post a Comment