Monday, July 5, 2010

Before You Make That Tuna Loaf...

You might want to check your cupboards for any canned tuna you have on hand. Does it say 'in water'? Do you think it's actually in water?

The labels! They lie!

Sort of. Chances are there actually is water in that can. It may even be listed right after tuna on the ingredients label. But right after that is going to be something else, something I wasn't expecting.

Vegetable broth. Yes, that's right, vegetable broth. What the heck is vegetable broth doing in a can of tuna? The vegetable in question is almost certainly soy considering that the label also read, "contains: fish (tuna), soy"

The fish part is something of a duh. The soy part was a great deal more surprising.

So I checked and discovered that every can from every brand of tuna had the same thing. Vegetable broth listed as an ingredient and that little warning that the can contained soy. All, that is, except for one. StarKist Gourmet Choice. There might be other brands out there that are soy free, but that's the only one available in the local grocery.

Just want to mention here that I am in no way affiliated with the StarKist company nor any parent company or child company associated therewith. I just happen to buy canned tuna from time to time and have a mom who's allergic to soy.

Now, I'm apparently not the only one who noticed. I'd actually be a little worried if I were. After a search for the terms 'canned tuna contains soy' I got a lot of blog posts on this very subject. I does bear repeating, though, as I didn't run into any that specified any particular brands that have remained soyless. Maybe they're worried that any brand mentioned might start following the trend of adding soy broth to the tuna. Be that as it may, I did want to mention that I was able to find a source of soyless canned tuna. How long it will stay that way is something we shall all have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment