Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Cold season aproacheth

I haven't done much with this blog, have I? Sorry! (Who am I apologizing to? Does anyone even read this?) In all honestly, I'm not much of a cook and there's only so much you can write about trying not to burn the chicken while microwaving frozen vegetables.

But then I got a cold and I thought that saying something about cold remedies that won't mess with one's allergies might be a good idea.

So here it is. Tea.

Herbal tea, specifically. The Altivia and Traditional Medicinals brands, even more specifically. No added flavorings, just herbs and whatever you'd call things like licorice root and cherry bark. My own 'nuclear option' cold remedy consists of about five different herbal blends steeped in a glass of water for about fifteen minutes. I'm told it smells bad enough to kill so I don't recommend it for people with a working olfactory system. Still, there are some pretty good teas out there for colds, and they taste pretty good even without adding honey. Do recommend adding honey, though. It's great for colds. If you have allergies to any particular plants, you might want to get a brand of honey that specifies which flowers it's been made from.

Oh, and mullein tea with warm milk and honey is wonderful. Not sure how milk counts as part of an herbal remedy, and if you can't drink milk than you can leave it out, but dang if it doesn't feel good going down! And mullein is a traditional cold remedy. Kinda makes me want to head for the highway and dig up a couple plants to keep.

No comments:

Post a Comment